Marshmallows away! Math Modeling and Reasoning Builds Catapults

Maddie Walker, Reporter

Catapults are being built by the Math Modeling and Reasoning class.

This class is completely new this year and is being instructed by Dr. Charles Bowman.

When asked why he wanted to create this class, Bowman says, “I wanted to offer Roosevelt students with an option that explored math outside of the traditional format. Math is more than just crunching numbers. It’s also about making sense of daily situations. Life as we live it!”

Over the year, the students have been put into real-life scenarios. For example, figuring out how to build a ramp, planning a vacation, and determining which cell bill is the best option.

Yousef Samkari, a senior, says, “My favorite MMR project is our current one, the catapult. I like having hands-on experiences and this is it. It is challenging yet intriguing, you want to keep going until you get it right.”

Although small, this class is mighty. Truly, Bowman had to recruit people to join the class.

When asked why she joined, Bella Watson says, “I signed up for the class because I wanted to experience a math class that has group projects. It is really fun and frustrating at times, but in the end, it’s worth it.”

When scheduling classes, keep this math class in your mind. It teaches you real-life situations and prepares you for adulthood.

Contact Dr. Bowman if you are interested.