Booster Club makes blankets for local families

Fatou M'Baye

RHS Booster Club is making blankets for Kent families and students in need. The blankets are donated to the Roosevelt Guidance Department to be used in boxes that they deliver to families every year during the holidays. Booster Club also contributes $400 worth of food for the boxes. 

“The boxes go back to students over the winter break who are food insecure, and we add the blankets to that as part of their holiday gift,” explained Chris Dreher, Booster Club advisor. 

Students in Booster Club enjoyed making the blankets together last Thursday and Friday. “It was a super fun experience,” said junior Emma Schweitzer. “We were all laughing and listening to Christmas music, and it felt so good to be making something for a good cause!” 

Students make the blankets, and they go back to the student population that may not be receiving anything this holiday season.

“That’s kind of our goal at Booster Club,” added Dreher. “That, you know, we do community service, but we try to serve our Roosevelt community. We do serve the outside community too, but really we focus on supporting sports and clubs and other organizations, things that will help the student body.” 

Booster Club is involved in many important parts of Roosevelt, but students might not know this because a lot of the work they do goes under the radar. “We kind of spread the love behind the scenes,” says Dreher.

Booster Club meets on Thursdays and Fridays in Mrs. Dreher’s room, and on Google Meet. Students can contact Maddie Walker or come to room 113 if they would like to join. 

Photo: Maddie Walker