Read Woke First Meeting!

Maddie Walker, Reporter

Read Woke is a club that reads books about Social Justice issues.

These books are similar to Dear Martin, the book Roosevelt read together as a whole, that caused the entire student body to reflect and also inspired many nonreaders to read.

This quarter’s book was “Felix Ever After” by Kacen Callender.

“Felix Ever After” is about a trans man who goes to an art school. His name is Felix and this book goes through his life journey as a person questioning their gender.

Read Woke encourages people who think that they hate reading to give reading a try.

Jen Flaherty, one of the Read Wokes advisors and librarian, says, “Read Woke is all about learning about real-life issues through the eyes of fictional characters experiencing them. We read stories about topics that affect real people.”

Every meeting includes a discussion about the book, Mrs.Flaherty says, “We love to grow and learn together through discussion. The group has great conversations and is able to connect with new friends. We hope you’ll join us!”

This second quarter the book is called “Free Lunch.”

It is only one hundred and fifty pages and is a very quick read. If you want to join Read Woke or just check your privilege, this is the perfect opportunity to do so.

Copies will be available at the library, so do not stress about having to buy the book.

Remember, you don’t have to be a reader to join Read Woke, you may just surprise yourself with how much you actually enjoy the books being read.